Thursday, June 3, 2010

My New Obsession-Geocaching!





Our family is planning a big trip to the Pacific NW/BC later this month and we wanted to do some geocaching while we were there. If you are not familiar, " Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online" according to geocaching.com. So I decided we needed to try it before we left so we would know how. I got an app for my droid phone (geobeagle) and it is so easy with a huge arrow that points the way and lets you know how many meters away it is. We started on Saturday around 2:30. First it was just H. and me to make sure we knew what to do before we dragged the kids all over town. H. found the first cache- which he was THRILLED about. It was so much fun, and the first was was .5 miles from the house so we went back and grabbed M. and her friend and our neighbors and we all left for an adventure. We ended up doing 3 more in about 2 hours with an ice cream stop! We had to crawl under a fence to get into a cemetery for one cache. BIG FUN! Sometimes they are tiny and some have goodies but all have you sign the log. Monday we did 3 more. Sometimes we couldn't find it so we stopped but would come back the next day and be successful. We went in late afternoon on Tuesday and Wednesday donned in rain boots for creekside mud. Today I did 4 (all while my kids were at school)!! I am hooked!