Saturday, May 22, 2010

Last field trip . . . in first grade





The first grade classes went to a local university's farm on Friday. I went because M. LOVES for me to go and that only lasts for a few years! So I took my camera not having any idea what we would be seeing. Well, it is a research farm for both plants and animals. The kids saw the chickens first and immediately decided that they REEKED!!! Next we went to the swine research section where they are experimenting with different types of food for pigs, especially trying to find something sustainable, cheap and not corn! The piglets were super cute and the big guys were so muddy. There was another noxious odor here too, but not quite as bad. M and I talked about her grandmother's pet pig, Chubby. My mom tells the best stories about Chubby and we got a laugh thinking about her with that pig! Next the kids got to pick organic strawberries at their peak! M. loves to pick but not to eat. So she picked 3 cartons for me. They looked so good she decided to taste one this year to see if she liked them now. YEAH! She likes them! We ate one carton that was so juicy and warm from the sun. Delicious! Lunch at a park then I scooped her up and we went home early. Picked L. up on the way back so the 3 of us enjoyed a couple of hours of extra day together! Fun Friday!

No comments: