Friday, October 2, 2009

A few of my favorite things. . .


It is Friday and I am trying to appreciate the small things in my life today. The weather is good- a nice fall day, temperature in the 70's, but a little overcast. Two out of three girls got off to school on time! (those were the ones riding the bus, my high schooler, who drives herself, missed 1st period and was late to 2nd period AND forgot a book that required me to drive it to school an hour later). Focus on the good because so far it is not sounding like I am appreciating the little things. I did have good coffee and got a lot of cleaning done this morning because I am having a party on Sunday. Very excited about that because it is a wine tasting and i LOVE wine. Should be a nice fall afternoon-perfect to be on the patio with friends and vino! Did plant some pretty fall pansies and pink fun flowers to make the patio warm and inviting. I have found myself thinking about all the things I do love around my house or in my life today. So just the thoughts alone should prove I am appreciating them, right? I want to share a few of my favorite things today.
I have found a new magazine that is AWESOME. I discovered it quite by accident in a doctor's office then tried to buy it. But found that it was not available anywhere so I contacted the company(who were so nice and interesting to talk to) and got a subscription. The magazine, now in its 2nd year comes out 6 times a year and has NO ADVERTISING! It is a collection of articles written that appreciate something small in life. The title is Seeing the Everyday, the small things magazine. It is so beautiful with wonderful articles and photographs. Check it out when you get a chance at http://blog.seeingtheeveryday.com/.
Another favorite would be walking the dogs while listening to a book on my IPOD. Just finished listening to A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I absolutely loved it!!!! Now I am listening to Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. So far I am really enjoying this one too. As for what I am reading, I have A Year by the Sea, Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson. I am interested in the idea of not yet being finished, how we are always evolving, changing, growing. I feel like I may be in one of those periods now as I figure out what to do with my life now that all girls are in school. Oh well, food for thought! And for one of my 3 book clubs I am reading So Brave, Young, and Handsome by Leif Enger. I like it okay but I liked his first book better but not giving up on this one yet. Well it is time for my to do the afternoon carpool so I will spend then next one and half hours appreciating that one of my girls can drive herself! Remember it is the small things!

No comments:

Post a Comment